Thursday, August 13, 2009

Breast Surgery Update

Chris went with me to this appointment. I thought it was to get a treatment, but when I got there I found out I was seeing the breast surgeon. I was like... ok... I didn't have any prep time, only my waiting room time to get myself strong in the mind and heart and build myself up for this visit. Each one is a hurdle, and I have to brace myself for anything that the doctors say to me. So I was warned that a resident would come in first.. for the teaching program... and this guy was a total douche... (excuse me Father)... he had no bedside manner. He examined me. He flat out told me that this surgery is not a cure and would not extend my life. I mean what do you say to someone that says that to you. So I heard whatever else he had to say, I wanted him to leave and I wanted to see the real doctor. While we were waiting I happened to see my oncologist walking by. I guess she was going home for the day. When she walking by she saw me in the waiting room and came back and asked me what I was doing there. I told her I was there to see the breast surgeon. She said... "oh ok"... I told her that I saw the first doctor and he did not give me good news. He said everything opposite from what I was told before. She asked me who it was, and I told her. She said, "Oh well wait for the real doctor to come in before you take a position on it." I told her I would and she left after I introduced her to Chris. So we waited forever. Now when I get a new doctor the wait time is FOREVER because my file is so big. They have alot to catch up on. She examined me. She told me that if I choose to do the surgery that she would remove the left breast and the left armpit. It will not be a double mastectomy, only the left side. Then she hit me with it. She told me that they usually don't reconstruct someone at my stage. My case is so rare that I may still have a chance, but she warned me that they do not reconstruct Stage 4 patients. I guess they think its a waste of time and money. It does not send me a good message. I do not pay attention to it. Its a roadblock yes, but if that is the case I will not have my surgery here, I will go somewhere where they will reconstruct me. This is probably the most scared I have been on a surgery. My nerves are all over the place. Its the one reason it took me so long to write this blog. I have an appointment with the plastic surgeon next week. Somehow all my treatment appointments have been taken over by all these other appointments...i.e. radiation, bone scan, plastic surgeon, and the breast surgeon. Not to mention my normal oncology appointments with my doctor. I was told that it was because they wanted to wait until I do the bone scan to see what effect the treatments are doing. The bone scan is 3 hours long. I will do it though. I haven't had to do scans since I had like a hundred scans at the beginning of this. I will be there to do them all. I am brought back down to reality. Its not that I get my hopes up or down, I am in the middle always. I can not let myself be all over the place. If I do then I set myself up for disappointment. I just let whatever happen that is supposed to happen and I go with the flo as best I can. I believe that is what will get me through all of this. I have been in good spirits lately. Everything is still going on around me but I stick with a positive mood, living in God's favor, bringing the love straight to me from all the people around me. My kids, my husband. Christopher is the best. Chris has been so great I cant even tell you. Every girl should have a guy like him. He would do anything for me, I am lucky to have him. I sit here and wait for the next appointment on the 17th with the plastic surgeon to find out if I am able to be reconstructed. The breast surgeon showed me where she would cut if I get reconstruction. Reconstruction does not just happen the day of the surgery. Its a series of surgeries, and visits to maintain the expander. I have been researching other blogs and women that have already been through it. Just to get an idea...Well that is all I have for now. I know its tedious but it must be done. I leave you in the Grace and Favor of the Lord. Renee B.